Treasurers play a vital role in ensuring the smooth running of our Church finances. This is an exciting role managing the income and expenditure of the church, sometimes hundreds and thousands of pounds. You will work closely with the PCC leadership team working alongside the Ministry team and Churchwarden. You will support others in your parish such as the Local Giving Adviser and work with your Deanery Organiser.
There is support available to the Treasures in the Diocese including training and guidance to help you undertake the responsibilities - we can also arrange training courses by bodies such as the Association of Church Accountants & Treasurers (ACAT) and others to help you succeed in your role. We have also have a login available to access all ACAT information, please get in touch with us to benefit from this.
The Stewardship team in the Diocese will work with you to reduce procurement costs, find grants and funds and maximise parish income.
What does a Treasurer do?
- Ensure the church operates correctly in conjunction with the Charity Commission Guidance
- Assist PCCs in financial planning
- Balancing the books
- Provide data to the National Church such as Parish Finance Returns
- Organise the Annual Report and Accounts and submit to the Diocese
- Assist with procurement eg. insurance and utilities and ensure accountability of all spend.
Who can be a Treasurer?
- You could have a finance background or previous knowledge of finance in another organisation.
- You need to have good communication skills to work with your Churchwarden and ministry team.
- A good understanding of the structures and practices of a PCC could be useful.
Our online Treasurers forum enables you to share best practice, resources and to build a strong network with over 100 other treasurers across our Diocese. Joining the forum takes less than five minutes and it's free!
For further resources
Parish returns | Weblink
Parish Share | Weblink
Parochial fees | Weblink
Stewardship | Weblink
Church Budget Template | XLSX
For further information please contact
Gary Peverley | Finance Director | 01473 298575
Philip Keeble | Accountant | 01473 298500